This project is a chance for Women firefighters to share their experience – standout or workaday events or moments from the field, the community, or the fire hall. Together, we’ll shape the stories that are told into short narrative written or recorded art pieces — audio, visual, written or digital.
With this project, FSWO hopes to:
• Tell the stories of a unique group of women workers, supporting our work in building women firefighter leaders by sharing their experiences and knowledge
• Make women more visible on the job
• Encourage women firefighters to reflect on their on-the-job experiences
• Increase our sense of well-being and our access to mentorship and opportunities to share with other female firefighters
• Enhance the public’s understanding of the complexity of career firefighting, leading to better service, and to more positive media representations.
• Show women and girls the value of joining the fire service
We gratefully acknowledge the support of Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association and the Workers Arts and Heritage Centre, and our funder, the Ontario Arts Council.
For more information contact reddressproductions@gmail.